Target Free Family Saturday:
Saturday, May 11, 2013
11am – 4pm
FREE ALL DAY
Join us as we celebrate the upcoming special display American Heroes: Japanese American World War II Nisei Soldiers and the Congressional Gold Medal and the opening of the exhibition Portraiture Now: Asian American Portraits of Encounter.
11AM – 2PM: Make a self-portrait fruit face with Kidding Around the Kitchen!
12PM – 2PM: Drop by and meet a member of the 100th, 442nd, or M.I.S.! They will be signing cards of themselves for you to take home!
12PM – 3PM: Caricature portraits by Cartoon Slinger! (Children only. Line ends at 2:30PM)
1PM – 4PM: Learn about the 100th and 442nd with Stacey Hayashi, author of the comic book Journey of Heroes: The Story of the 100th Infantry Battalion and 442nd Regimental Combat Team.
• Journey of Heroes coloring activity
• Take your photo with characters from Journey of Heroes
• Write letters to soldiers stationed abroad to thank them for their service!
1:30PM – 3PM: Meet Japanese American Korean War and Vietnam War veterans in person!
2PM: Author Ken Mochizuki will read his children’s book, Heroes
2:30PM: Take a tour of Portraiture Now with Smithsonian exhibition curator David Ward.
ALL DAY ACTIVITIES:
• Create a self-portrait that’s totally you!
• Have your portrait taken, then make a customized picture frame for it!
• Mark your spot on our community timeline! In collaboration with JACL-PSW.
• Ruthie’s Origami Corner: Make a Mother’s Day card!
• All veterans are invited to be photographed for our Wall of Thanks!
Generously sponsored by Target, these special Saturdays are filled with fun activities giving families unique ways to learn, play, and grow together. With support from the Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs, and the Los Angeles County Arts Commission.
Check janm.org/target for more details >>