Summer Festival on the Courtyard: Japanese American Olympics
Saturday, August 11, 2012
FREE ADMISSION ALL DAY!
London will host the Summer Olympics but JANM will host the JA Olympics. Join us for fun Japanese American games for the whole family!
JA OLYMPIC COMPETITIONS—COMPETE FOR PRIZES!
11AM - 5PM: Basketball Free Throws
Japanese Americans and basketball are like two peas in a pod! Make two out of three free throws and win a prize! 1 prize per person, while supplies last.
11AM - 4PM: Origami Design Contest
Calling all origami artists of all ages! Enter our origami design competition and leave your mark on the world of origami!
1PM - 2PM: JA Trivia Challenge
Think you know a lot of Japanese American trivia? Match your knowledge against others in JANM’s first ever JA trivia competition! FREE!
2PM - 4PM: Jan Ken Po Tournament
Do you think you can win the 1st annual JANM Jan Ken Po (rock-papers-scissors) tournament? Find out if you can beat the best of the best! Youth and adult divisions, $5.00 entrance fee.
4:30PM: JA Olympics Medals Ceremony
Cheer on the winners of the Origami design contest, the Jan Ken Po Tournament, and the JA Trivia Competition.
All Day: Hula Hoop Lessons
Let HoopItUp teach you how to hula hoop your way to good health
All Day: Origami Scavenger Hunt
Are you brave enough to take on the origami scavenger hunt? Complete it and you’ll win a prize!
All Day: Toddler Room
Come enjoy our fun and cool Toddler Room
11AM – 2PM: Gold Medal Fruit Kebabs
Make some gold medal fruit kebabs with Kidding Around the Kitchen
1PM - 5PM: Photo Souvenir
Smile! Be part of JANM’s JA Olympics with a picture souvenir!
• Build a fun trophy for yourself or for a friend using an assortment of materials. Try to make it as unique as possible!
• Decorate an award “medal” and wear it to show off your creativity
• Hip, hip, hooray! You’ll need a megaphone to project your cheers so come decorate one at the Museum
• Make a summer festival hat to show your style. Our paper hats are becoming a summer time tradition here at JANM because we always have so much fun seeing the hats fashioned by our visitors!
• Ruthie’s Origami Corner: Make an origami sports ball of your own
Check janm.org for more information >>